Call for a Free Case Evaluation!
Available 24/7 714.907.4029
Orange County DUI Defense

Representing Clients in
All Orange County Courts

Our Proven Methods Will Be Your Peace of Mind

Free DUI Case Evaluation

Delayed Suspension and Revocations

Driver's License Restriction for DUI

People who are arrested for drunk driving face the possibility of license suspension or revocation. Your only chance to contest this is by requesting a hearing at the Department of Motor Vehicle within 10 days of your arrest. If you fail to request this hearing, your license will be automatically suspended/revoked. If you attend this hearing but lose, your license will be suspended.

§ 23660 – Surrender of Suspended License

Upon arrest for DUI, law enforcement will send the notice of your arrest to you and to the Department of Motor Vehicle (the DMV you are registered through). The DMV will then suspend or revoke your license. This suspension will become permanent if you do not attend/are not successful at the DMV hearing.

§ 23662 – Notification of Restrictions

According to V C Section 23662,

If a person is placed on probation, the court shall promptly notify the Department of Motor Vehicles of the probation and probationary term and conditions in a manner prescribed by the department. The department shall place the fact of probation and the probationary term and conditions on the person's records in the department.

§ 23665 – Delayed Revocation or Suspension

This section of the California Vehicle Code essentially states that if you receive a jail or prison sentence for DUI, your period of driver's license suspension does not start until you have been released. For example, if you are sentenced to seven days in jail for a DUI and your license is suspended, the suspension period will not begin until you have been released at the end of those seven days.

Contest Suspension with a DUI Defense Attorney

If you have been arrested for a drunk driving offense and need to contest license suspension, contact Gold & Witham. We can also help DUI offenders petition for restricted driver's licenses, which means that even if you lose your license, you could qualify for limited driving periods (ex: driving only to and from work). To learn more about how we can help, contact our Orange County DUI lawyers today.